Wednesday 25 November 2015

This Much I Know - Websites


Hello,

This week's 'This Much I Know' shares the main things I have learnt about websites.
When I started my little business, this was an area of complete mystery that I threw myself at as I believed that if my strategy was to mainly market my business online, it was vital that I knew how to build and manage my very own home on the web...

This Much I Know About Websites...


  1. Websites cost a lot.  Whether it's lots of your money or lots of your time if you opt to D.I.Y - websites take lots of it.  Know this, accept this and factor this into your plans.
  2. It's very important to have your own home on the internet which is independent of social media sites.  That is a very sensible thing to do.  Social media sites are unreliable - all it takes is for one to change their rules and that could truly scupper your business if you have relied too heavily on them and not built your marketing efforts on your own foundations (i.e. your own website or blog).
  3. Setting up a website is not really as scary as it may seem at first.  It can be done very simply using a blogging site or an easy to learn and use website host site to take the pain away.  Here's a little list of some great sites to help you: blogger, wordpress, tumblr, weebly, create, bigcartel, shopify.  The list goes on and on - I've just jotted down some of the popular ones I'm familiar with.
  4. Your website is your shop window - use it to say what you want the world to know.  Keep it up to date and relevant and use it to help gather opt in subscribers to an email list.  It's important to gather your own customer database to ensure you have a way of reaching your customer base that is not reliant on anyone else.  I use mailchimp for my email list and can completely recommend them as you are able to download your list at anytime. Good website host sites (such as the ones I listed in point 3 above) will give you lots of support and information to help you get the most out of your website and help you navigate the world of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) to gain traffic to your site.
  5. If you want to hire someone to set up your website for you -it's important to take your time to find the right person.  Ask around, especially from people you know with websites you admire. It's important to find someone you can trust, who shares your vision for your site and that you feel you can work with in the long term.  Working with the right person will make the whole process a pleasure rather than a pain!
I hope you found this weeks 5 things I've learnt helpful. 
Next week I am hoping to share a few things I know about Print On Demand sites.

Have a lovely day!